10 Quick Ways to Prepare Your House to Sell
1. Improve your landscaping. Curb appeal is crucial to a good first impression, so make sure your home's lawn is immaculate. Mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the garden, and plant flowers.
2. Clean the outside. A sloppy exterior will make buyers think you've slacked off on interior maintenance as well. Be sure to clean the gutters and pressure wash your home's siding.
3. Make repairs. In a buyer's market, you want your home to be in the best condition possible. Take care of major defects like broken windows or a leaky roof that could discourage buyers.
4. Make the front door inviting. A fresh coat of paint, especially in a color that contrasts with the home, will make the front door stand out. Replace faded house numbers so buyers can see them from the curb.
5. Buy a new welcome mat. Let buyers know they're invited into your home.
6. Remove clutter and depersonalize. Buyers want to envision their belongings in your home. Clean up by renting a storage unit for knickknacks, photos, extra furniture, and other personal items.
7. Organize closets and drawers. Messy closets give the appearance that your home doesn't have enough storage space.
8. Deep clean your entire house. This should include everything from the baseboards to inside the oven and tops of fan blades. Consider having carpets professionally cleaned to look their freshest. Make every surface shine.
9. Take color down a notch. You might like your lime-green bedroom, but it may sour buyers. Paint your walls a neutral color that will appeal to a wide range of buyers.
10. Eliminate bad odors. Hide the litter box, empty the trash and spray air neutralizer throughout your home. When showing the home, arrange care for dogs, fill the house with inviting smells by putting out fresh flowers, and baking a batch of cookies.